From: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Samstag, 2. September 2017 03:57
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SQL and defining data structures

"sounds like you are not very familiar with views"

Heh. Yes, I was thinking about reasons to create a prepared statement, and conflated that with reasons for not using a VIEW. Of course the ORDER BY doesn't impact the VIEW. My mistake.

But thank you for pointing that out so politely. That's what makes this list so much fun! ;)

In the meantime, as I mentioned to Birgitta I still won't create a VIEW if it's only used in one program, and in that case using externally described fields to build the data structure is perfectly fine.

<Joe>
For example, if I need to select the library at run time, or the ORDER
BY criteria can be changed at run time.
</Joe>

sounds like you are not very familar with views. DB2 on AS/400 (and
all following systems) doesn't allow an order by in the top select and
even drops tricky order by clauses (as allowed in other flavours of DB2).
In this special case I would indeed recommend not to use views in
Germany we are saying: "Schuster bleib bei Deinen Leisten"

D*B