From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2017 21:46
To: Rpg400 Rpg400-L
Subject: Re: Dynamic array in interface

I am not aware of any plans to support dynamic arrays in RPG (which is what you are effectively asking for) but you are mistaken in your comparison with COBOL.

Yes there is an Occurs Depending On (ODO) option, but the full amount of memory space is always allocated so I don't see how it makes a difference. I have passed structures from RPG with the same layout as a COBOL ODO and it works fine so I'm having trouble understanding your issue.

Also, if you are passing this as a parm from RPG to COBOL only the pointer to the first byte ever gets passed so the actual size of the structure is irrelevant anyway.

You could always use dynamic memory for the array in RPG - If you can give a bit more detail about how the data is passed we might be able to help more with how to implement such an option.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com<http://www.partner400.com>
www.SystemiDeveloper.com<http://www.SystemiDeveloper.com>