Hi Jon,

My work entails close to 100% of tasks involving data migration,
extraction, transformation, and loading. Once in a great while, I'll pitch
in coding reports too. All that work lends itself very well to using
nearly 100% SET based SQL, which is the design I chose to use.

For me, it is simply a matter of having used SET based SQL for over the
last 7+ years. I think my brain has simply adapted and rewired itself to
doing that stuff due to sheer repetition. I also did extensive work on a
system between 1998 and 2000 that was coded using tons of SET based SQL
that turned on some initial light bulbs for me as well.

SET based SQL is a different way of thinking, so it does take significant
effort to get over the initial learning curve, and to get one's head out of
thinking in terms of processing one row at a time.

I'm no expert using XMLTABLE. I had to follow other people's examples to
figure it out. I also don't have to process XML very often, so every time
I do, I have to refer to my previous implementations a bit to get my head
back into it.

Mike