" If RPG were easier / more flexible to use than say .NET or PHP for web apps, why don't web teams switch?"

Probably the same reason I use RPG for web apps. I know it and haven't found a compelling reason to change (and I have looked).

-----Original Message-----
From: Buck Calabro [mailto:kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 03, 2017 10:58 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RPG easier/harder to use than other languages?

On 7/3/2017 11:19 AM, Bradley Stone wrote:
On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

3) RPG is not the strongest language on any platform (including IBM
i) to write a web app. [1]

[1] Write a web app in RPG that uses your state's GIS web service and
the Google Maps API to map the hilltops in your county higher than a
user-selectable elevation. Good luck, pioneer! How easy is it to
use a language which has no examples?

Similar example of that here:
https://www.fieldexit.com/forum/display?threadid=429

Nice. Even better (ie more business-related) than my contrived example.

Yes, it uses jQuery, but that should be standard on any web app these days.

Yep.

RPG with a nice toolkit like CGIDEV2 or eRPG SDK is a great web
application tool, especially if your data is on an IBM i.

Does this make RPG the strongest web dev language?

Specifically:
Fewer examples.
Spartan documentation.
Few tutorials.

Don't get me wrong: I love RPG and always will. I'm not dismissing RPG as unsuitable for web work. But from my own personal experience, I have never, not once, seen a team of people who were life long web developers choose RPG as their go-to language, and all of my data has always been on IBM i.

Is there an element of 'use what ya know?' Absolutely. The question then is this: If RPG were easier / more flexible to use than say .NET or PHP for web apps, why don't web teams switch?

--
--buck

Try wiki.midrange.com!