On 7/2/2017 11:35 PM, Booth Martin wrote:
You raise an interesting question. I do not know the answer to this:

Does adding in that our chosen platform has the ILE environment give us
flexibility and choices that other platforms can not provide?

No.

1) For virtually all RPG developers, the only thing ILE brings to the
table is the ability to use sub-procedures. All other platforms had
this for a long time already.

2) The world is moving away from 5250 / thick apps and toward web apps.

3) RPG is not the strongest language on any platform (including IBM i)
to write a web app. [1]

4) RPG is the strongest language on IBM i with which to write business
logic that interfaces with our well-seasoned databases. Extracting out
the business logic from the monoliths is a superb use of ILE /
sub-procedures. Wrap that up so it's accessible to SQL and I think this
is the natural role of RPG.

[1] Write a web app in RPG that uses your state's GIS web service and
the Google Maps API to map the hilltops in your county higher than a
user-selectable elevation. Good luck, pioneer! How easy is it to use a
language which has no examples?