My gut tells me that a remote connection is more expensive than opening a local DB2 table, and isClosed Is cheaper than opening a new connection.

It's the age-old question of pre-checking vs error trapping. Pre-checking adds a small cost to every transaction, while error trapping is a big cost on failure. If failure is a common occurrence, you may be better off pre-checking, while if it's rare you may be better off with just error trapping.

In my environment, pre-checking is basically obligatory, but YMMV.

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Brown [mailto:DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:32 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: JDBCR4 How long will a database connection stay open

Thank you for the responses.

Justin -

I would presume that opening a connection to a database would be a fairly heavy (for sake of a better word) operation and if I am going to open and close a connection to the database say a thousand times in a batch process this would not be very efficient. I would also expect the operation to check if the connection is still open is also a heavy operation.

I am guessing there would be some way to look at a MSSQL server and see how many current open connections there are. Don't know how ?

The MSSQL server is a business critical application and I need to be as efficient as possible when accessing this database.

Is the load on a MSSQL database of opening a connection similar to that of a ILE program opening a DB2 database file or is there a comparison as to what opening a connection actually includes ?

What I think I am going to do is save a time stamp when I open the connection and check the elapsed time on each call and if x number of seconds have elapsed I will check if the connection is still open.

Cheers

Don Brown