Justin,

Can you explain the purpose of these files?

When you say "My direction is to bring the files in as part of the stored procedure call" does that mean the caller must read the entire file into memory and pass the whole thing as a parameter? That sounds ungainly to me unless these are very small files... for example, if they are 1mb files, every time it makes a stored procedure call, it'd read 1mb into memory, then transfer than 1mb over the network (as part of the call), then it'd be in memory in the server... Is that really ideal? But then, I think to myself, maybe there's a good reason for that, etc... it's just hard to envision without understanding how these files are used.