On 30-Apr-2015 12:34 -0500, darren wrote:
By the way. I've read the i7.2 alters the WRKQRY system to use the
new query engine (SQE). So, if your query didn't specify a sort
order, going to 7.2 could potentially change the sort order you get.

The Classic Query Engine (CQE) always had the same potential issue [that exists with the SQL Query Engine (SQE)] whereby lack of an ORDER BY signifies collation is unimportant\undefined; the lack of Select Sort Fields specifications in the Query Definition (QRYDFN) always yielded an unpredictable order [despite a preference for the use of the Arrival Sequence Access Path], even if the results may have _seemed_ predictable. For lack of any interface to the /Select Sort Fields/ on the Run Query (RUNQRY) feature for specification of QRY(*NONE) to query a database file member [i.e. a /default query/ per RUNQRY QRY(*NONE) QRYFILE((the_DBF DBM_of_DBF))] will tend toward Arrival Sequence, but may use instead parallel data access and\or a keyed access path such that ordering can change.