On 06-Apr-2015 12:07 -0500, Englander, Douglas wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this:

There is an SQLRPGLE program with subprocedures, some of the
subprocedures use SQL, and others do not. The problem is that the
SQL Precompiler is recognizing the SQL code, and adding the SQL Data
Structure, but, it adds the Data Structure as a local DS in one of
the subprocedures, AND the subprocedure where the DS is added does
not have any SQL code in it. Moreover, the other subprocedures that
do have SQL, and need the DS cannot see it because the DS that was
added is defined locally to that subprocedure.

Never seen that. A pared-down example that continues to exhibit the issue on that system, posted so that others can attempt at different releases, might be of value to validate consistency or possibly for reviewers to offer what might be a circumvention or required action to avoid the problematic issue.

The first occurrence of the EXEC SQL command is in the mainline, but
only to set the SQL COMMIT parameter to *NONE. The first occurrence
of an actual SQL command to execute is in one of the subprocedures.

We are on V7R1.

Are there PTFs that can address this, or is it a known problem that
the SQL precompiler does not work well with subprocedures?

Anything that might assist for searching, a message that is logged in the listing as a result of the placement?

Those comments\question having been said\asked, I did find an APAR SE51767 with the SQL PreCompiler keywords "SQL-CMPL" mentioning /placement/ of inserted D-Specs, and a symptom of msg RNF3787 "Procedure-interface definition not found in subprocedure." as a possible effect, with an apparent cause per having coded "blank P-Spec
after the beginning of the procedure and before the Procedure
Interface (PI)"; however the PTF SI47075 is over a year on a cumulative, since C2279710. FWiW the latest supersede, not on any cumulative, is PTF SI54632.
<http://www-912.ibm.com/systems/electronic/support/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/ALLPTFS/SI47075>
<http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/ALLAPARS/SE51767>