May I make a case for using SFLMSG? Hopefully I will do it accurately and concisely.

SFLMSG allows any number of error conditions to be identified on any number of subfile rows & fields.
SFLMSG allows the marking for correction of every error in the subfile in one validation cycle. There is no user time wasted fixing one error, enter, fixing the next error, enter, fixing the next, until all errors are cycled through, one at a time.
Cursor positioning is automatic, no programmer effort involved.
Subfile positioning is automatic, no programmer effort involved
SFLMSG shuts off its own indicator, no programmer effort involved.
SFLMSG allows the use of MSGFs.
SFLMSG allows the use of RI and of COLOR().
SFLMSG is, by comparison, easily debugged.

And, in this particular situation has the advantage of being a different way to view the same problem; always an advantage.