From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:43 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: DS Group Field Names

On 2014-03-12 15:06, Anderson, Kurt wrote:
My impressions is that in Glenn's case "overchargesLevel1" is not
coming from a file, only the other subfields that make up that field
are. But if you're in agreement with that, it seems odd that
"overchargesLevel1" can be defined by the compiler only if the
definition of the other subfields comes from a file vs being
explicitly defined. Though I don't really ever see myself using this
- I am a -huge- fan of qualified files and reading into data
structures (vs a read implicitly loading a data structure).

Hi Kurt, you're right about "overchargesLevel1" not coming from a file.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that "overchargesLevel1" can only be defined if the overlaying subfields come from a file. I only meant that if they _do_ come from a file, you don't have to code a data type in free-form.

In both fixed-form and free-form, if an overlaying subfield (or any
subfield) comes from a file, you can just code the subfield name without data type information, but you can can also explicitly define overlaying subfields.

f1,f2,f3 come from a file.

D ds ds
D level
D f1 overlay(level)
D f2 overlay(level:*next)
D something 10a overlay(level:*next)
D f3 overlay(level:*next)

dcl-ds ds;
level;
f1 overlay(level);
f2 overlay(level:*next);
something char(10) overlay(level:*next);
f3 overlay(level:*next);
end-ds;

--
Barbara