Thank you guys.

I think now I have all the elements to solve my problem.

Marco

Il Sabato 18 Gennaio 2014 5:44, Peter Connell <Peter.Connell@xxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

I have avoided recursion by wrapping all the code in a mainline sub-procedure and specifying this procedure name in the MAIN H-spec keyword.
This causes the compiler to use a liner-main procedure (no RPG cycle) which allows the mainline procedure to call itself recursively.
Globally defined variables are shared between recursive calls.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Saturday, 18 January 2014 4:19 p.m.
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: PSDS source informations availability

  Perhaps reconsider correcting the issue with recursion and avoid entirely, the compiling of multiple programs from the same source code to implement some faux-recursion; i.e. modifying the code [and the means used to compile] to allow the recursive invocation(s) to function without errors.?

  Pending transition to using message identifiers in a *MSGF, if that is an option, I would probably follow the previously alluded approach to "have my precompiler insert 3 constants while compiling the program".
Although it would seem two constants might be better; i.e. in keeping with the old design of program name and library name rather than changing the file.

  Yet if it were me, and I was required to keep using a keyed data file design rather than transitioning to a message file implementation, I probably would use a simple scalar value and define an integer or a string constant in the source.  Because obviously, the relationship is no longer with the program name and library, and without some other transitions in compile processing the relationship to the source member from which the object was created even may be somewhat tenuous.  Why have a 20-byte or 30-byte key when the key values have a vitiated meaning, and the key might be as simple as a few bytes.?

Regards, Chuck