Under the covers, the SQE uses RLA. Why should IBM be the only one to
code an "engine".

The operative words there is "under the covers". These db operations are
occurring at the lowest level of the OS against machine buffers instead of
pulling the entire record through layers of buffers.

As to the I will just recompile that's great if you have 5 day a week shop
and can spend hours on the weekend recompiling 5000 programs because you
added a field to the customer master but if you are running a 7 x 24
operation they frown on that. The bottom line is the same. Every shop I
have ever been in nobody wants to recompile the world. I work in Java shop
for new development (Not me unfortunately) but you watch every day they are
changing the database and nobody even thinks about. Every AS/400 shop.
Absolute agony about making a change to a table.