From: Alan Campin [mailto:alan0307d@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2012 3:00 PM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Should I replace all CHAIN, SETLL, and READs to
SQL

But in return for that 100 millionth of seconds of
performance you are hardwiring the physical view of the
table into the program. You have lost your database
independence for a few 100 millionth of second performance
and as I have said over and over the whole performance thing
starts going out the window when you begin to consider
multiple tables. Using RLA, you chain this one and then that
one and then this one. In SQL you are almost always bringing
fields from multiple tables and all your performance
measurement go out the window.

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Nathan Andelin