I usually (these days, anyway) use SQL for groups, such as records needed
for a subfile or a report. Unlike Nathan, I never deed any empirical tests,
just the old gut feeling that the response was reasonable.

I did have a situation once where I was selecting a single invoice from a
1,000,000+ history table which took 20 minutes (520 Power 5). Even though
the WHERE conditions were in the key fields and there was a logical over it.
Didn't have a whole lot of time to investigate so I switched that part of
the program to RLA. A more experienced and knowledgeable SQLer, such as
Charles or Birgitta probably would have spotted my flaw easily.

But, generally speaking, I would never re-write a program just to change the
database access method, any more than I would re-write a program just to use
an externally-described printer file. But I have done both when there were
other considerations that supported the decision.

Jerry C. Adams
IBM i Programmer/Analyst
Try and try as we might, there will still be times where men are just
assholes. We can't help it and we're sorry