From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of CRPence
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 2:03 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: File Still Open

On 01 May 2012 10:06, Jerry C. Adams wrote:
The only reason that I noticed that the file was open, even though all
programs had ended, was because I was trying to replace it for another
test.
That might be the only time when leaving it open would be an issue?

What defines /replace/ and what was the error? Admittedly the v5r1 is
pretty old, but even way back then, very few operations should fail due to a
pseudo-closed open. I suppose within the same job there may be more
potential issues, per no conflicting lock [spanning threads, there is the
SQL close even for conflicting locks; e.g. ALCOBJ
CONFLICT(*RQSRLS) which is implicitly performed by most requests of the
database object handlers which require an exclusive lock], but most of the
/generic/ operations [dltf, rnmobj, movobj, etc.] and most database actions
effect a search of the ODP chain and then effect close of any pseudo-closed
cursors before the operation, thus not interfering with activity even in the
same job. Perhaps that is just in the current activation scope, or merely
default activation; I would have to test.
Even so, if the open scoped to an activation group gave problems, then the
obvious resolution seems RCLACTGRP.?

Regards, Chuck