And you were already active in 2008 .....

Hi WinDev Friends,

Nice forum .

We (food importer, about 15 users) went to the SSP running on the

AS/400 (ISeries) to the true AS/400 op-sys recently, although the

application programs and data files remain Sys 36 (Library-QSF36).

We have an element of our programs that run on Filemaker (duplicate

data, a bit clunky) that we would surely like to replace and we would

in general like to move more into a modern PC/GUI world accessing our

solid AS/400 data. Inquiries and reports first, updates as an extra

long-term nicety. We do see that some or all of our programs and data

should best move to the AS/400 conversion. However, having multiple

record types here and there, and limited resources, such decisions

must be made carefully .. lest we bite off more than we can chew.

(This concern is especially significant if we go to the heftier $$

Magic alternative below, and then find we cannot do very much with

it without weeks or months of program transformation .. in fact we

will also be looking into the RPG program transformation tools,

since we have no desire to rewrite everything top-to-bottom, accounting,

inventory, etc. in WinDev or Magic. Tis a one-man shop, and the daily

programs are very specialty custom-tailored.)

A few ways of moving from A to Z are being considered, with two

having demo'd nicely and seeming to be excellent fits. On the higher

end of cost, Magic Software. On a much more moderate level, WinDev.

This is the type of small business need where cost is secondary

to robustness, support, power, flexibility, comfort, etc. and both

products seem quite promising. Both products also seem to have

specialized in AS/400 integration. Of course the advantage of WinDev

as portable without additional runtime licenses is always nice, although

in this particular environment other considerations are primary.

Those who have worked on both WinDev and Magic may be especially

able to note some distinctions that I do not know about. Or simply

comment about learning curve, robustness, speed, etc.

A couple of issues are of special interest. Magic asserts they have

proprietary drivers from the PC to the AS/400 that are superior to an

ODBC connection. I simply do not know how significant that is (it could

lead to better and tighter integration on the program level, and better

speed and reliability)and do not know whether WinDev has anything similar.

Comments and background would be helpful.

From checking it seems that Magic can do very, very little with my

QS36F files, other than reading them as alpha fields (presumably they

could be converted to numeric on the Magic side). Can WinDev do a bit

more ? If someone can explain WinDev's capabilities to work with ye

olde 36 files, it will be appreciated.

Note: the free trial from WinDev does not touch this area, so I

largely have to go by discussions and helps of others that have blazed

away. Even if it means refreshing my high-school parley-vous français

or getting some language assistance. e.g. WinDev does have a specialty

AS/400 forum .. in French. On this trial level, Magic is superior, as

it gives a dongle-less full-blown evaluation copy, so I can play

more directly.

I'll stop here, there is a lot above. I have no interest in bashing

either product, they both seem to be leaders, with WinDev a bit of a

'sleeper' in the USA, just now coming to the fore. I even remember when

Magic used to win the database RAD competitions in NC against Ultimade,

Clarion, FoxPro and a couple of dozen products that came out down through

the pack. And they seem to have, more or less, kept pace with the changing

puter world. While WinDev has been coming forth with a fresher approach

at the same time.

And I could even see both products being a part of my retinue, and

possibly even a part of the food importer, over time. Especially with

WinDev being a rather inexpensive (shhhh..) product for this type of
application.

Your thoughts, feedback, etc. appreciated. On forum, or send me

an email, or we can talk on phone.

Thanks.

Steven Spencer

Programmer