I think you mean C or C+ not C# on the IBM I.

From:
Henrik Rützou <hr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
"RPG programming on the IBM i / System i" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
07/07/2011 11:20 AM
Re: RPG - I'm not dead yet!
Sent by:
rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx

First, I don’t agree with MS has all the sexy stuff anymore simply because
the sexy code once again is moving towards the clients such as Apple and
Android app’s, Flash and browser based OO javascript app’s such as Ext JS
and Touch. All these new apps have their own IDE’s and is not the least
aware of what kind of server they use.

This removes most of the sexy stuff from the server and what remain on the
server is only (web)services and BL-services and database – and of course
some technical stuff such as generating data in PDF, XLS or other media.
Maybe .NET is the right tool for some, but with the above new architecture
and IDE's and today .NET/Silverlight is just a choise amoung many.

Unless someone has a religious relationship to a specific programming
language, all can probably agree that all languages ​​have their
advantages
and disadvantages. Who would for example use RPG to create a binary PDF
object or create a compiler? And who would use C# to handle a DSPF?

The discussion about RPG ctr. C# ctr. Java can continue indefinitely but
everyone forgets one thing, IBM I is programmed in ILE in a combination of
all three (and more) languages ​​in a global environment and RPG is
actually
a language that largely uses underlying C# routines both by default (eg.
bifs%) but also as included direct calls to system routines (QC2LE)
written
in C# and/or Java classes such as Apache POI.

So it really is more fair to say that an IBM I are programmed in ILE than
in
a specific programming language (where HLL RPGLE is just an option among
many) and it is unfair to say that one isolated programming language can
beat the concept in ILE.