Joe,

Brain-dump ensues...

I guess mainly it's #1 - my company (one of the largest software companies
in the US) won't spring for a fast PC for me - I only got my *second* GB of
RAM a couple of months ago, and as you point out, 1GB of RAM certainly won't
cut it. 2GB is better, but... Plus, because it's Java, there's a chunk of
overhead going on all the time, it seems (certainly Process Explorer shows a
lot of CPU usage). The actual opening of files/members were certainly slow,
but it was really the 2+ minute startup time.

A dealbreaker for us is the use of library lists to process compilations -
in SEU, I was able to set my *LIBL, edit a source member, compile it and
know which copybooks in which libraries would be used, and which compilation
overrides would be used. I never found the equivalent level of granularity
in the IDE's. I'm not saying it's not there, just that I never found it. We
have a lot of command-line processing which allows dynamic changes to
library lists, which is, at the very least, difficult to do, using an IDE. I
know I can create commands and command-sets, but there's a lot of hassle
(maybe one-off up-front hassle, but still hassle).

Of course, there's a certain 'old-school' bloody-mindedness to it - my
personal website is written using hand-coded HTML and I only just stopped
using a Palm Treo as my phone - maybe I'm just a Luddite, like my wife
says... Part of me just gets aggravated when someone says what john said. I
let my code (and the speed/quality with which I create it) stand for me.

I work form home a lot, so the communications/latency issues between my PC,
my firewall/router/cable modem/internet/corporate firewall/i mean that SEU
really is *much* faster.

Some of the benefits to an IDE don't really apply to me - a huge amount of
the code I write/maintain is PL/I, so there's no syntax checker. Likewise
with MI.

Finally, I'll reiterate what i said before - speed is everything. Every
second of latency or "Communicating with server" is anathema to me. And
right now, there's a bunch of it.

Rory