The plot thickens, Joe.

I tried your original example on a V7.1 m/c. Same results as you: DSPLY TEMPVAR: [ ]

Copied code to a V6.1 m/c and made the modifications necessary to get it to compile, (additional PR definitions and named PI definitions).

H DftActGrp(*No) ActGrp(*New)

d MyConstant c 'Data'

D DoProc Pr
D MyProc Pr
D MyParm 10A Const

/free
DoProc();
*inlr = *on;
/end-free

p DoProc b
d DoProc pi
/free
MyProc( MyConstant);
/end-free
p e

p MyProc b
d MyProc pi
d MyParm 10A const
d tempvar s 10A
/free
tempvar = MyParm;
dsply ('TEMPVAR: [' + Tempvar + ']') '*REQUESTER';
/end-free

This compiled and produced DSPLY TEMPVAR: [Data ]

Copied above example BACK to V7.1 m/c and compiled. Results were DSPLY TEMPVAR: [Data ] !!

So, explicit PR/PI definitions - though not necessary - cure the problem. PTF required, methinks.

Brian.