Hi David,

On 9/8/2010 8:46 AM, David FOXWELL wrote:
We have converted a number of OPM that were needed by an application
that runs in a named ACTGRP. Obviously, we have recompiled with
ACTGRP(*CALLER).

I don't understand what you mean. You say "named ACTGRP", then immediately say "obviously, ACTGRP(*CALLER)". Huh? How is this obvious? Is it a named actgrp, or is it *caller?! Or is it *CALLER and being called from a named actgrp?

If I understand correctly, we can expect that unpredictable results
may occur in the applications where previously the programs were
OPM?

No, I don't agree with this at all.

If (?!) your programs are indeed running in a named actgrp, then they are ILE programs and will behave like ILE programs.

If your programs are running in OPM compatibility mode, i.e. DFTACTGRP(*YES), then they should behave like OPM programs.

If your programs are compiled with DFTACTGRP(*NO) and ACTGRP(*CALLER) and are called from the default activation group, you won't be able to remove them from memory without ending the job -- but they'll still work fine.

All of these are completely predictable. None of them are "unpredictable results"

The only time you're likely to have unpredictable results is if you create a *SRVPGM with ACTGRP(*CALLER), call it from the default activation group, and then run RCLRSC. At that point, the results will be somewhat unpredictable... but still predictable to an extent: you won't be able to read/write your files, and the *SRVPGM will ultimately crash with a weird error of some sort. The only unpredictable bit is the error you'll receive. It might be a memory error, or it might be something else... it'll be ugly.