Hi Scott,

So after 7 years of giving up my free time, vacation time, etc to teach
(while still working full-time as a programmer, not a teacher) I'm extremely
burned out and just tired... sooooo tired...
Just try to take a timeout (far away from any computer, phone etc.), but it
is really necessary. Recently I visited a friend of me who is the manager of
a sanatorium. He took me into a session he hold about "Stress Management",
some of the participants suffered the burned out syndrome ... and believe me
they were really sick.

you've done and still do a great job in teaching, writing articles and tools
for everyone to try it out. (... and please do not stop!)
Even here on the other side of the pond, you and your tools are well known
and a lot of people use them (even though its written in English ;) and some
translations must be done to make them understandable for everybody ... but
someone is always found to do it)

I think those who read those articles, go to Common or User Groups events,
participate in the forums are not those who resist in learning something new
... it's the rest.

... and I know it's sometimes like fighting against wind mills.

In my former company the external programmer did not do any progress since
he learned RPG in the 80th.
Not even subfiles where used, why should I do so?
Why do I need an EVAL as long as I can execute a MOVE?

Sometime ago I had to teach ILE concepts in a company. There were 5 young
programmers and 5 old ones. The young guys were interested, understood the
ILE concepts, saw the advantages of procedures over programs etc. The old
ones, said we already know RPG we use it since 30 years and the way we use
it is the right one. Instead of writing a service program with several
(exported) procedures, they wrote a single program (not even with
subroutines) and called it whenever they need it.
... what will happen? I think the young programmers will stay for may be a
year or two (to get some experience) and after have a look for another job
(may be in RPG but I suspect they will prefer something more "modern").

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)
and keeping them!"