From: mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:56:24 -0400
Subject: RE: Open Access for RPG

Don't pick out RPG programmers and put only them into this group. This behavior is across all aspects of everything people do. People, in general, resist change. Doesn't matter what the change is they resists it. What I think might make this more apparent in the IBM midrange environment is that IBM has done an exceptional job in keeping RPG backwards compatible. For the most part code written 20 years ago will still compile and run today. In contrast if RPG was a Microsoft product there would have been forced change along the way that would prevent 20 year old code from running today and people who have code this old that still works would have been forced to recode it at least every 5 years to have it work in a current compiler.