From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rory Hewitt
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 10:30 AM
To: RPG programming on the IBM i / System i
Subject: Re: Parameter prototype question

David,

One could take the approach that *all* parameter check has to be done
manually, whether or not CONST or VALUE has been specified. For instance (to
take one of my procedures I've been working on), if you have a procedure
that can accept a 3-character code, representing a record type to process
('HDR', 'DTL', OPT' etc.), then any time you call that procedure (especially
if you haven't used it for a while) you might have to check to see what the
valid record types are. Certainly a programmer who's never called that
procedure would have to do so.

In many cases, you have to know what the meanings are of different parameter
values. The same applies (or should apply) to parameter value limits.

Rory