This logic doesn't work on my FreeBSD machines either:

(grungy) DING! ~ > echo abc | sed 's/a/a\r\n/'
arnbc

Same result as QShell and PASE. Are you sure it's supposed to work?!

It's supposed to work, for gnu. I think FreeBSD doesn't use gnu
utilities
by default.

To hopefully put this thing to bed, here -->
http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/manual/sed.html <-- is a description of sed
from GNU's perspective (not from IBM manual). The usage of \r and \n
(among other things) are GNU extensions. GNU contains all POSIX stuff plus
some extensions, while the iOS variety falls short of the POSIX standards.
(It lacks, for example, the POSIX [x-z[:digit:]] "character class" regular
expression specification.
http://www.regular-expressions.info/posixbrackets.html)

The GNU version does give the option of being true POSIX-compliant (via its
--posix switch), which gives it an advantage over the older-style Berkley
derivatives, in my opinion. But it comes down to "which standard do you
want to choose? There are so many." I like the GNU stuff. But that's
probably because I've been using GNU for about twenty years. For example
SUN and AIX systems I've administered in the past (and now iOS) lacked the
GNU capabilities; so they were installed and placed in front of the
system-supplied stuff in the path. Never (in about 10+ years) have I seen
any problem with this approach. I also dump bash and sh in favor of ksh
with equal success. YMMV.

Dennis Lovelady
"We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with
gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics."
-- Bill Vaughan