I make a point of (generally, not always) having a subroutine called
return.
In my code, I will code an 'exsr return' instead of simply the RETURN
opcode, even though the 'return' subroutine may contain no more than
the
RETURN op-code.

Why?

Here's an alternative for you to consider:
http://code.midrange.com/85da238f9e.html Maybe it will shed some light on
an alternative method that doesn't violate any programming rules, doesn't
add a bunch of new if/else logic, still allows control to flow to the end of
the stream in the event of exception, et cetera, but with only one exit
point.

Please forgive the stray /free at the top. It's a concept, not a working
program.

I think (and I seem to be alone here) that the effort is very well worth it!
And with this particular approach, the effort is minimal. To me (with the
afore-mentioned 'alone' caveat) those other approaches ARE ugly next to
this.

Dennis Lovelady
"A conference is a gathering of important people who singly can do nothing
but together can decide that nothing can be done."
-- Fred Allen