Lowary, Jim wrote:
<<SNIP>>

I played around with it some interactively and figured out I could run the command "QSH" and then at its command line do a QIBM_CCSID = 819 and change the CCSID for that execution. But if I tried to do 'QSH CMD(QIBM_CCSID = 819)' It didn't like that at all.

I would think there would be a way to change the "QSH" default CCSID for just this job. Since I'm not Unix savvy and this is
where the two worlds tend to bluer together, I couldn't find it.
If I could have set the right CCSID I might have been able to get
"sed" to work well enough for what I needed anyway.

<<SNIP>>

The syntax for the CMD from QSH would require a string as input; i.e. I believe trying the following would have been "liked" by the QSHell interpreter:

qsh cmd('QIBM_CCSID=819')

Of course from a HLL that would probably be represented by the string 'qsh cmd(''QIBM_CCSID=819'')' and is only one request, active only during that shell session. The string for CMD can be a series of commands separated by perhaps a semicolon or otherwise; use the correct separator according to what is desired of the shell to do for example if there is an error. See for example:

But since "QIBM_CCSID" is an environment variable, I would expect that could be set even by a CL request before QSH, by requesting to ADDENVVAR ENVVAR(QIBM_CCSID) LVL(*JOB).?

Regards, Chuck