I think you are right.
But i would advise to learn OO first, then HTML/Javascript etc etc.
OO is a powerful concept, nothing more or less, applicable also toa procedural language like RPG, although it doesn't support objectsnatively (among other things). OO is about thinking about codestructure and modularisation in a specific way, where you organizeyour code arround data (or state/variables). E.g. the "readCustomer"procedure "belongs" to a "customer" object. You can group all theprocedures for "customer" together into one module or service programand voila, you're already doing some OO.
Of course, it helps if you're language supports it, but then again,in RPG we have RLE.
From: thomas.l.deskevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RPG V?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:03:28 -0500

I don't want to open up a another can of worms here. (RPG V may be a record
for the longest thread)
In my opinion, it would be more worth my while to learn HTML, Java Script
and PHP than SQL OO and free in RPG, especially when you are the only person
using SQL OO and free in your shop. The PHP knowledge is more portable and
universal. And it broadens my career options further. Enhancing my knowledge
of RPG may be compared to putting lipstick on a pig. (ouch) In the
programming shops I have worked in, it was always a minority of the people
who went beyond what was expected of them in the area of enhancing their
skills. I cannot say I love my job. I just want to keep food on the table
and a roof over my family's head. That is the main reason I do more than
what is expected of me.

Tom Deskevich