Everywhere I go, everywhere I speak, every conference, user group, etc. Every interviewee who applies for an RPG job here. Plus the majority of e-mail and forum posts I see are exactly what John describes.

Day in and day out, every day I talk to RPG programmers that fit John's description.

And usually the ones who talk to me are the ones who WANT to learn... I figure there's a whole extra group of them out there who don't, who I'll never talk to or meet.

What John says is absolutely accurate. The vast majority of RPG programmers are decades behind the times, and not improving. I wish it weren't so! Indeed, I DESPERATELY wish it weren't so!

Frankly, this is a MAJOR reason why RPG and the IBM i platform in general are considered "legacy" and "old school", etc, etc. It's not really the language. It's not really the OS (though there are many ways in which the OS contributes as well) but more than anything, it's the programmers who either refuse to update their skills, or have managers who won't let them use new skills.

The problem usually gets blamed on the lack of a GUI. but if people had updated their skills, they'd be able to write GUIs with what they have today....

Mark Walter wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really taking offense to his
[john e] broad characterization of RPG programmers...