The 32702 limit is probably an artifact of calling the QDCXLATE API. I don't remember. I don't use trecvline() in my normal programs, it was only an example for an article.

Still... the 32702 just means you have a rollercoaster that can seat 32,702 people on each train... You can still have millions of people in line if you want to, each time you take 32702 people out of the line, meanwhile more people remain in line for the next ride... and more people can keep getting in line...

I don't see how coding 32702 on the prototype makes this any less clear. Here you are specifying how many people on each ride of the roller coaster, you aren't specifying how many people can stand in line!

GKern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I guess this is where I'm getting confused Scott. I understand what you said regarding the data stream (and the roller coaster is a good analogy), but I guess my 'fixed length' thinking comes from looking at the prototype for TRECVLINE and the data parameter being defined as 32702.
D trecvline PR 10I 0 D sock 10I 0 value D data 32702A varying options(*varsize) D size 10I 0 value D timeout 10I 0 value