Okay, I guess I see where you're going with this. I'll try to word it more precisely for you:

a) If you call an RPG procedure that returns a 1-byte return value, and that procedure is called from C or CL, then you need to code extproc(*CL) (or extproc(*CWIDEN) or extproc(*CNOWIDEN)) on the prototype, and you need to recompile the module containing the procedure.

b) Any callers that will call that *copy* of that procedure, and are written in RPG, will need to use the new prototype, and therefore will need to be recompiled as well.

c) If you have programs/srvpgms that have the module bound by copy, and don't call it from C or CL procedures, you could potentially skip recompiling/rebinding those. However, the NEXT time you want to change either the procedure with the issue, or the caller of that procedure, make sure you recompile/rebind both, as the source for the prototype will have changing (owing to point b, above) and therefore both the caller and the callee will need to be recompiled at the same time.

It gives me a headache just thinking about how you'd determine which programs need to be recompiled and which ones don't. I'd just recompile the whole lot and be done with it.

David FOXWELL wrote:

Although I still don't understand why the programs that are bound by
copy would have to be recompiled. Wouldn't they continue to use the
older version of the procedure? Then again, I don't know why the
manager would not want to recompile all the programs using that
procedure.