I think that should have been
IF (Feet > MinFeet OR (Feet = MinFeet AND Inches >= MinInches))
AND (Feet < MaxFeet OR (Feet = MaxFeet AND Inches <= MaxInches))

Personally, I like to leave the operator alone and change the order of
the operands

IF (MinFeet < Feet OR (Feet = MinFeet AND MinInches <= Inches))
AND (Feet < MaxFeet OR (Feet = MaxFeet AND Inches <= MaxInches))

Also to the OP, I'd also recommend you forget about OPNQRY and use embedded SQL.

Particularily if you want the selection criteria to accept variables.
With embedded SQL all you'd need to do with the above is make min/max
feet/inches variables like so

select fld1, fld2, <...> into :myDS
from myfile
where (:MinFeet < Feet OR (Feet = :MinFeet AND :MinInches <= Inches))
AND (Feet < :MaxFeet OR (Feet = :MaxFeet AND Inches <=
:MaxInches))
order by fld1, fld2;

Trying to use variables in OPNQRYF is more difficult. Though at least
in this case, you'd be dealing with numeric values (that you'd have to
convert to character before concatenating to the QRYSLT statement.)

HTH,
Charles