James,

Is the layout changing because you're using output files from IBM
commands? If so, stop doing that and start using API's.

Another option is that you may want to look at using SQL instead of RPG to
process the files. As long as the column names stay the same you should
continue to work. If you do, avoid
select * from ...
like it's Eve's apple. Instead use
select thisColumn, thatColumn, etc from ...

Won't buy the SQL precompiler (57##-ST1) , or want the ability to compile
on a machine that may not have it?
Then use "SQL-CLI". See section 6.5 of "Who Knew You Could Do That with
RPG IV? A Sorcerer's Guide to System Access and More" available at
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg245402.html?Open

Rob Berendt