Scott Klement wrote:
I don't see what this has to do with load? Why would a higher load cause you to use more automatic storage? Seems to me that the amount of automatic storage you use should be pretty much determined at compile time, and be a fixed-number thereafter
That's what I thought as well, but I misunderstood Barbara's comment about "zillions of calls". That combined with the fact that the problem only manifested itself at runtime frightened me into thinking that somehow automatic storage usage was growing during runtime, and so I wrote a simple test.

I'm still a little concerned about the mechanics - is the 16MB limit per module? Per bound program? If it's the former, the compiler I wonder if the compiler can't catch it. If the latter, shouldn't it be detected during the bind? If neither, if it's at the job or activation group level, then it's a subtle and potentially very hard to debug problem.

Joe