Nathan Andelin wrote:
Barbara eventually explained that this was an unavoidable consequence of the code the compiler generates to handle varying
length return values, from which I concluded that such procedures
were potentially a bad practice.

Is this only with "large" return values? What about procedures that
return say a 50 byte description [trimmed]?

desc = codeDesc(code);

The problem is proportional to the size of the return value. Calling a procedure that returns 50 bytes should not be a problem unless you call it a zillion times in the same procedure.

The problem isn't particularly related to varying-length return values. There is some additional automatic storage required for a call to a procedure returning a value (probably not integer or float return values, though, unless they are arrays).

Varying-length return values are an issue because it seems like they should only have to return the actual returned length, but actually they have to return the prototype-defined length.