Perhaps Zeno's Paradox of the Arrow might have some applicability here, huh? .-)

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
615.995.7024
fax
615.995.1201
email
jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

CRPence wrote:
If the 24 hour existed, it would be the last marker in the previous day, but since it does not exist, time always moves from yesterday at 23:59:59.999999~9 to today at 00:00:00 - fortunately, we only have an infinitesimal amount of time to contemplate it, but even before we could, yesterday has already passed into today.

;;;;;;; _Consider the following_:

It seems to me that in the 24 hour argument, there is a failure to account for a billionth of a second, or any small portions, sub-seconds time. If the zero hour does not exist, then does that also preclude the simple case of milliseconds 00:00:00.314 into a zero hour?

If there is in one day, from 00:00:01 until 24:00:00, where did the missing 0.999999~9 portion of a second go?
24:00:00.000000~0
- 00:00:01.000000~0
-------------------
= 23:59:59.000000~0

If 24:00:01 does not exist, then perhaps 24:00:00.999999~9 does, to resolve my missing 0.999999~9 portion of a second? It looks odd, but the missing partial second is recovered this way!
~24:00:00.999999~9
- 00:00:01.000000~0
-------------------
= ~23:59:59.999999~9

Or perhaps the zero hour does exist, but only since the first 0.000000~1 portion of a second since the 24 hour? Ah... there is the partial second again!
24:00:00.000000~0
-~00:00:00.000000~1
-------------------
= ~23:59:59.999999~9

But what about allowing the zero hour and zero [sub-seconds] to exist. All is accounted for here, as well!
~23:59:59.999999~9
- 00:00:00.000000~0
= ~23:59:59.999999~9

So the last two examples are what is really being talked of in the two claims:
1) 24 hour exists, zero hour does not
2) Zero hour exists, 24 hour does not

Sorry, I just do not see 23:59:59.999999~9 rolling over to the value 24:00:00.000000~0 solely to exist for the incalculably-small amount of time before 00:00:00.000000~1 transpires in a similarly incalculably small amount of time [a googolth of a second ;-)]. Even sillier, continuing on, in infinitesimally sub-second slices of time, up to 24:00:00.999999~9 until the magical 00:00:01.000000~0 is finally met.

An increment from the zero hour makes the most sense to me, with an _asymptotic_ approach to 24; i.e. never reaching 24, _eclipsing_ into the zero hour. I do not want to try to force fit some 24 hour between 23:59:59.999999~9 and 00:00:00.000000~1 to muddle; the value 00:00:00.000000~0 belongs between. Zero is too beautiful to ignore. Zero deserves better! :-)

Regards, Chuck