Yes, we heard they run slower, which can be expected
We'll check these out later and let you know which worked best for us

Than you Rob!

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 3:56 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Display file dynamically

Prepared statements are nice.  However, I "think" they are all thrown
into the CQE and not the enhanced SQE.  Also, there is some stuff that
gets stored in the program after you actually run it that helps
performance on the next execution of the sql statement.  You can see
that with PRTSQLINF.
 An example is:
DECLARE C1 CURSOR FOR SELECT CAST ( SUBSTRING ( BIGTEXT , 1 , 10 ) AS
DATE
) AS
    THEDATE FROM BLASTME
  SQL4021  Access plan last saved on 02/20/07 at 16:23:57.
  SQL4020  Estimated query run time is 0 seconds.
  SQL402D  Query attributes overridden from query options file QAQQINI
in library QUSRSYS.
  SQL4010  Table scan access for table 1.
UPDATE AAAKEY SET COMP = 1 WHERE LOC = 'a'
  SQL4021  Access plan last saved on 02/20/07 at 16:23:56.
  SQL4020  Estimated query run time is 0 seconds.
  SQL402D  Query attributes overridden from query options file QAQQINI
in library QUSRSYS.
  SQL4008  Index AAAKEY used for table 1.
  SQL4026  Index only access used on table number 1.
  SQL4011  Index scan-key row positioning used on table 1.
  SQL4006  All indexes considered for table 1.
GET DIAGNOSTICS : H = ROW_COUNT
OPEN C1
5722SS1 V5R4M0 060210     Print SQL information          Program
ROB/AAASQL
WHENEVER SQLERROR CONTINUE
FETCH C1 INTO : H
                               * * * * *  E N D  O F  L I S T I N G  * *
*
* *

However, I don't think prepared statements get any of this benefit.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073

"Phil Kestenbaum" <pkestenbaum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
02/26/2007 03:35 PM
Please respond to

"RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: Display file dynamically

Nice and Elegant
We were also thinking of using a prepared statement
Can anyone share their experience ?