At 08:42 AM 12/9/2006, Jon Paris wrote:
No.  There is nothing in the language that requires numbered indicators.  I
would also make the point that code such as If *IN03 = '1' has never been
needed in RPG IV.  A much better approach is to use a named constant with
the appropriate value. E.g. If *IN(ExitRequest

I like to use indicator variables for these types of questions too. I agree than *IN03 = '1' doesn't make much sense either.

Instead of "If *IN(ExitRequest)" I would probably use something like "If ExitRequested", or "If ExitRequest" in your example. When reading the code, I don't care that ExitRequested is an indicator variable. It just seems to read better that way for me. I try to make all my indicator variables naturally readable if possible. A little extra typing up front makes is easier for the next person (which may be me!) figure out what is happening in the code.

I also use True/False to assign values to indicator variables instead of *ON/*OFF. Again, seems to be more readable to me.

When I use the INDDS (which nowadays is almost always) I do sometimes use F3Exit, so I would code "If F3Exit", but you could also code it "If ExitRequested".

Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.