I had a similar experience many moons ago on the S/3. Top-down design and structured programming were just then being written about. The DP Mgr (an ex-salesman, and a very good one at that) nixed all of my proposals to, at least, try them. "We ain't got time to 'experiment;' we've got real work to do."

Fortunately, my boss (his asst.) was more optimistic (and devious). So without telling the Mgr. we used the techniques on my half of a major project (100+ programs). Mine took longer to design and write than the old model used by the other programmer. The salesman was ticked. Mine took less time to test and debug and never failed in the next three years; the same could definitely not be said of those written using the spaghetti model.

But you do take your (professional) life in your hands when you buck management (for lack of a better term [and one appropriate for mixed company] right now). I have, also, been in situations where the above scenario would have gotten my butt canned in a nanosecond.

Fear is a good thing. It keeps most people from jumping out of airplanes without a parachute (and the majority of us from even considering it with one). The key, though, as my grandfather taught me, is to control fear, not let it control you. Most of the inhibitors of RPGIV and the new techniques are afraid (of various things) in my opinion.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jon Paris wrote:

>> My boss once said we may start using subprocedures soon. My reply was I
already am.

Good for you!  It always amazes me that in the System i RPG universe we have
to "prove" the value of modular programming techniques before we can use
them.  Since every other programming language has used them extensively and
effectively for eons it seems to me it should just be common sense.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com