Quite interesting these comments, as the past management did advocate using VB6
to develop systems that interfaced with the old RPG system  (they probably
didn't know about VisiCalc as that also would have been used!)

-----Original Message-----
From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: 26 October 2006 14:00
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Converting RPG to RPGLE

In this way about 60% of our application is still written in RPGIII and
even new programs get written in RPGIII.

I think I'll just go out and shoot myself.

I assume that your management also advocate writing in VB3 and have Apple
IIs around so they can use VisiCalc?  They probably have all the secretarial
staff using quill pens or typewriters.  They don't?  So why oh why is RPG so
different?  Does is really take IBM discontinuing support for RPG400 to get
people off their backsides and make the move?  To me it is a complete no
brainer - the very notion of writing _new_ programs in RPG400 is just too
ridiculous for words.  I wouldn't hire a contractor to build my house if he
was only using hand tools.  The tools work and will get the job done - but
it will take longer and cost more.  RPG400 to RPGIV is the exact same thing.

Cloning (copying) is rarely a faster way to develop in the long run.  Sure
modular design takes longer that "You go up and ask the users what they want
and I'll start coding" - but I don't know of a single company where they
made the transition that found the process from start to delivery to the
user took longer.  And more importantly all subsequent modifications tend to
take significantly less time _and_ the apps are more reliable.

Enough already - this is a depressing start to the day.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com