From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 7:30 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: Costly PSDS

I am in need of creating a uniquely named data queue for a job. The
first
idea that came to mind to ensure it is uniquely named was to use the job
number from the PSDS data structure which would allow me to create it
once
for the job, and then delete it once the program was done running.  My
dilemma is the following statement in the RPG manual...

From the RPG Manual:
Call performance for LR-on will be greatly improved by having no PSDS,
or a
PSDS no longer than 80 bytes, since some of the information that fills
the
PSDS after 80 bytes is costly to obtain. If the PSDS is not coded, or is
too
short to contain the date and time the program started, these two values
will not be available in a formatted dump. All other PSDS values will be
available, no matter how long the PSDS is.

So based on this my question is are they referencing the FIRST 80 bytes
or
just 80 bytes in total?  I am guessing it is the former but wanted to be
sure.  Really the only value from the below PSDS is JOB_NUM which is 6
in
length, but it starts at 264 in the PSDS.

One last question.  Obviously the "costly to obtain" is relative to your
machine, but it would be better if I had something to relate it to.  For
instance, it is more costly to have a 65535 character variable vs. a
65535
VARYING character variable if you needed to %trim a lot on that
variable.
That may not be apples to apples, but I am just trying to grasp what
"costly
to obtain" means.  If it was costly as in "similar to having to start
the
JVM for your job" I would definitely go another route.

Anybody have input?
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com

PSDS structure (Thanks Simon Coulter: