Hi Patty,

I am new to RPG and trying to find some classes.  All I seem to find is
RPG IV classes that are for people who already know RPG III.  I don't.
I need to start at the beginning.  Anyone know of any classes being
offered in the United States?

Almost everyone who is learning RPG IV for the first time are coming from RPG III. That's where the majority of the demand for classes is, and that's why it's hard to find classes that teach RPG IV from the ground up.

Having said that, I've had to teach RPG IV from the ground up to most of the new employees I hire. Although we are a small company and hire only rarely, I've already had to do it 6 times. In the absence of classes, I decided to use books instead. My recommendations can be found at the following link:
http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/howtolearn.html

One of the nice things about using a book instead of a class, is it's easy to go back and re-review it afterwards. You won't remember every detail of what you learn in a class, but with a book it's easy to go back and look at it later. And you can have it sitting open on your desk while you type the code...

Obviously classes have advantages too. They tend to be less "dry and boring" than straight reading, and give you the chance to ask questions, and they give the teacher the chance to spend some extra time on a topic if s/he notices that confused look on your face :)

If you can afford it, one of the best ways to learn RPG is to hire the folks at Partner/400 to come in and provide On-site training. They can taylor the classes to exactly what you need to learn.
http://www.parnter400.com

Good luck