I changed to Scott's new version of the hssf service program. And, as John
Joiner pointed out, the "wwFile" definition in "hssf_open" was incorrectly
defined as "like(jFileOutputStream)" which I changed to FileInputStream.

This is just a silly mistake on my part. However... this would not cause any problems. A type O field in RPG (a Java "object") is really nothing more than a number. The actual object itself is stored in the JVM, not in your RPG program. The O field is a "reference" to that object. So the JVM creates the object, then returns a number that your program can use to refer to the object when it needs to. As long as the number was correct, having "FileOutputStream" instead of "FileInputStream" wouldn't make any difference at all. As long as the correct type is referenced on the prototype, that is.

But, anyway, I agree that it's wrong and misleading and I'll update it.

If I run my 'read the s/sheet' job interactively, it WORKS EVERY TIME.
If I run it in batch, IT FAILS EVERY TIME on the 'open' (Java
IOException)!

This sounds an awful lot like something that I've already fixed. Since you appear to be using an old version of the code, could you please download an updated copy? For the sake of convienience, I've zipped up my copy of the code, and placed it at the following link:

   http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/hssf.zip

Does anyone know what, in a batch job's environment, could be so different
from the interactive that the batch job would fail every time???

Not really, but there was an issue with java i/o exceptions that would occur if you don't have at least FDs open in the job. If you download the code above, it makes sure that there are at least 3 open.

The other thing you'll want to verify is that you have THREAD(*SERIALIZE) on the H-spec of your program.