Thanks for helping Adam!

                >..You mentioned earlier that when calling the API you were
specifying a
port for the LDAP server, do you need to do so on your ldapsearch command as
well?...

The ldapsearch command does not need a port, but according to the docs provides
a parameter if your LDAP server is not on the standard port 389. Our active
directory programmer assures me it is the standard.

..If not, then based on that error it seems to me that it may be a
networking issue.  Can you ping the LDAP server from the iSeries?  What
about telnetting to the port the LDAP admins gave you?  Is it possible
that there is a firewall or routing problem getting in the way?....

I'm able to ping the mail server, which is the same as the LDAP server (they
assure me) in three different ways: (1) repxxx.com, and
(2) mail.repsrv.com, and (3) the box name, "MAIL".

..If none of those things turn anything up, you may want to check the
version of AD.  From my understanding, some of the older implementations
of LDAP were not very strong in their compliance with LDAP standards - I
don't know any details, just that there has been discussion of problems
with AD's LDAP implementation on my Linux User's Group mailing list.  Once
again, it is my understanding that this is only a problem with earlier
versions of AD.

I'll check into the version, but on that score, the dot-net programmer is
pretty sophisticated, visits the local MS office regularly, and tells me the
company "spends beaucoup bucks" on Microsoft stuff. Meaning, I'm sure it's the
latest version.

But I wouldn't be surprised at some stupid MS quirk that gums up this thing,
really. But he even showed me someplace he had it and their API looks like
mine, so ???

I'm also going to try the ldap_simple_bind, but since the MS apps out here work
over the LAN and access the directory, and this one is telling me it can't
contact the server, then I'm thinking it's maybe some different something I'm
supposed to do with the server?

By the way, for Mike, I also tried the %addr(LDAP_srv) and got the same thing...

The RPG-dot-net-wannabe wants to write something in C# and get the result from
an SQL stored procedure. Yow! Sounds like a real kludge to me (just between us
i5-chickens here) since these API's are SUPPOSED to work just as is.

He wants to flex his new C# skills, I want to flex my API's. :-) Supposed to be
the same API anyway!

--Alan