Bryan has DVD stuff too, as well as eLearning and F2F.

http://www.bmeyers.net/

On 6/19/06, Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike,

I have no experience with the classes mentioned below.  I checked the
web site referenced in an earlier email and they all appear to be
"classroom" setting as opposed to "self-paced".  The last time I took an
IBM course it was the latter.  There are advantages both ways: I like
having someone of whom I can ask questions; self-paced is usually
cheaper.  I initially learned RPG II at IBM PI classes, and they were
pretty good.  Things didn't really start to sink in, though, until I had
a chance to actually code real programs ("Subroutines?  We don't need no
stinking subroutines!")

I would, as a past corporate instructor of RPG (in an earlier life),
make some general recommendations.  Don't try to take one course right
after the other.  Learn the principles of RPG IV; use them in real
settings.  Then progress to the next step.  Jon and Bob, who still
actually give classes in RPG, may have a different perspective on that,
and if your company was paying one of them to come on-site, pushing
everything into 2-5 days would probably be the most feasible way to go.
But my brain gets overloaded after five days at COMMON (probably a
personal issue, though).

It's hard to say from just the descriptions what the steps should be,
but here's a guess.

Arrays and data structures are pretty fundamental to RPG.
Subfiles are a bit more advanced, but still fundamental.
ILE concepts (subprocedures, service programs, and prototyping) are
still more advanced.  You may even find (as I have) that you want to go
back and re-write some of the earlier programs to gain some benefits.

I'm a little puzzled about why there would be three classes on dates.
Most of the books you already mentioned, plus the RPG Reference manual,
cover date data types pretty well.

After all of that, if the course listings indicate specific
prerequisites, use it.  IBM has professional instructors design and
teach their classes; if they specified that Class A is a prerequisite
for Class B, believe 'em.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *