Morning Adam - thanks for your e-mail. On my way home last night, I
realized the error of my e-mail.
First of all, one question for you. In your e-mail you stipulate that "I
stand by my earlier suggestion:".
For a while I have always thought that I haven't received all of the
midrange.com e-mails, it looks like this may be my proof.
Anyway, back to problem at hand.
 When you say "find the  first non-character of the input field" do you
mean "find the  first numeric of the input field"? If so, your method would
work. I was thinking of somewhat the same thing, only forward reading the
database, using the same method (and I quote)
"1. find the  first numeric of the input field
(the user-entered search field).  Suppose found in position y.
2.  Use the substring starting from position 1 and going on for y
characters as the base model number.
3.  Find all model numbers that start with the base model number followed
by zero or more characters."
EXCEPT, you would ALWAYS have to use the first record read as a starting
point, and when the same number of characters of the model number changes,
then that would be a new family of products.
Steve - do any of these suggestions help you with your problem? If not what
loopholes can you see, and what are they?

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

             AGlauser@erbgroup
             .com
             rpg400-l-bounces@         RPG programming on the AS400 /
             midrange.com              iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/02/2006 08:20                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Model numbers (was:
                                       Concatenating two strings spacing
                                       issue)
             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

Hi Alan,

Based on Steve's earlier response about the model numbers being
user-defined, I think that model numbers such as

R126
R126B
R134
R134W

could exist.  Then your first two numbers method could fail.

I stand by my earlier suggestion:

1.  Searching in reverse, find the  first non-character of the input field
(the user-entered search field).  Suppose found in position y.
2.  Use the substring starting from position 1 and going on for y
characters as the base model number.
3.  Find all model numbers that start with the base model number followed
by zero or more characters.

Hope this helps,
Adam

Alan Shore <AlanShore@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/06/2006 04:57 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re:

Steve - I made a quick and dirty file containing model numbers with the
model number being the key, and the model number being left justified (no
leading spaces)
for example

Record#     Model#
      3           RA12
      5           RA12B
      4           RA12W
      6           R0
      7           R0W
      1           R126
      2           R126B

Based upon your answers and what I am seeing here, woul this not give you
what you are looking for? Wherever the 1st 2 characters change, then a new
product starts, or is this too simplistic a model of model numbers? If so,
can you supply actual data where my model of model numbers fail.

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

             steema@diskhaven.
             com

             rpg400-l-bounces@         "RPG programming on the AS400 /
             midrange.com              iSeries" <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             06/01/2006 04:20                                      Subject

             PM                        Re:

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

I don't think so.
R126 would be a distinct product grouping.

So in essence, you can have 2 completely different products, their model
numbers being  1). RA12 for a radio, and 2). R126 being a widget,
neither
one related to the other. However, what you are looking for is that
RA12,
RA12W, RA12B, RAetcetcetc are in one group, but the R126, R126W, R126B
are
in another group, correct.
Sorry if I seem pedantic in what I am looking for, but I am in the
middle
of a project that is somewhat similar., so I am going through the same
thought process in the way I worked my project out.
Any way, can the family of widgets R126, include any model numbers that
begin with more than 1 character - RG126 for example?

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

             steema@diskhaven.
             com
             Sent by:
             rpg400-l-bounces@         rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange.com
cc

Subject
             06/01/2006 03:43
             PM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

the smallest size of the first node is 1.
there are also BE-nn, there are many w/ this dash.
There is T82483. There are some that start w/ numerals, that are not
part
of this subfile; at this time.

Most are 2 characters, numbers.

Unfortunately this is informally policed, how the users come up w/ model
numbers.

I was actually thinking that I may have the time to work in a relation
field between the products. Not sure if this is a great idea or not.

Steve - are you saying that RA12, RAB12, RABC12 belong to one group? If
so, would that mean that the "RA" & "12" have to be in the model number
(but NOT necessarily conjoined)? I f that is also correct, what is the
smallest size of the first node? In your example, that would be 2 (RA)?
Could you give a COUPLE of examples of what model numbers would be
deemed
as groups?

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

Alan Shore

NBTY, Inc
(631) 244-2000 ext. 5019
AShore@xxxxxxxx

list

list

Attention:
The above message and/or attachment(s) is private and confidential and is
intended
only for the people for which it is addressed. If you are not named in the
address
fields, ignore the contents and delete all the material. Thank you. Have a
nice day.

For more information on email virus scanning, security and content
management, please contact administrator@xxxxxxxxxxxx