From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin Elliott
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 10:45 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: RPG, 10 years from now

I am seeing more companies all the time that are under the impression
that since the
  AS/400 / iSeries / i5 has been around a while, and the fact that RPG
is still used on these systems, that they certainly could not be the
right choice for the present let alone the future. Evidently, having a
"pretty" screen or report is FAR more important than the validity and
accuracy of the data presented. So until something is done to educate
business leaders, and / or, someone convinces IBM to change their
attitude towards their own products, it won't matter WHAT new features
RPG has. Yes, it will still be around, but, I feel that it will be in a
very limited capacity and RPG coders will be looked at in much the same
way that people who remember / know DOS are looked at.

  Just my 2 cents.

steema@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  HI - This is a Friday topic. But, I was having a conversation w/ the
company Controller. He indicated that he was concerned regarding the
long
term support for the RPG language. He is not an IT guy, but is very
industry savvy.

I immediatly laughed and said no way, the support will always be there.

Then he got me to thinking, what if he is right?

Does anyone else share this concern?

Steve