From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Captain Jerry
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 1:06 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: RPG, 10 years from now

I believe that my 9-month-old daughter will be in her late thirties
someday,
like me, discussing the greatly exaggerated death of RPG, on her
brain-scan
fingernail-embedded communicator to the Solar-System-Wide-Web
(ssww.RPG.com<http://ssww.rpg.com/>
)

ROFL ~ Good stuff, did you ever write for Star Trek?

On 5/26/06, Tony Carolla <carolla@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thinking that the new waves of systems and languages will cause RPG to
go
> away, is like thinking that the Internet will kill the newspapers.
They
> have survived the invention of Radio AND TV.  I know people that have
been
> programming RPG longer than I have been... alive.
>
> Bottom line, in my opinion, as long as big companies are willing to
invest
> the iSeries (or whatever it is called this year) -- a system that
works
> with
> unmatched reliability and up-time, a system where RPG is the language
of
> choice, they will need us to write the code, and we will need IBM to
> support
> the lingo.
>
> I believe that my 9-month-old daughter will be in her late thirties
> someday,
> like me, discussing the greatly exaggerated death of RPG, on her
> brain-scan
> fingernail-embedded communicator to the Solar-System-Wide-Web (
> ssww.RPG.com)
>
> On 5/26/06, steema@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <steema@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > HI - This is a Friday topic. But, I was having a conversation w/ the
> > company Controller. He indicated that he was concerned regarding the
> long
> > term support for the RPG language. He is not an IT guy, but is very
> > industry savvy.
> >
> > I immediatly laughed and said no way, the support will always be
there.

> > Then he got me to thinking, what if he is right?
> >
> > Does anyone else share this concern?
> >
> > Steve
> > --
> > This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L)
mailing
> list
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.
> >

> --
> "Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."
> "In Hebrew SQL, how do you use right() and left()?..." - Random
Thought