From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 10:56 AM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: worst RPG ever seen?

Dunno what this turn of the thread has to do with bad RPG,
but . . .

Back when I was a University student, (CSU Long Beach, BS
in Computer Science, Class of 1985), I worked a couple of
summer jobs with my old high school, first as acting A/V
technician, then (the following summer, when the librarian
had convinced the district to fund a permanent A/V
technician) as the tech's assistant. Then, straight out of
college, I worked a couple of temporary assignments with
the Los Angeles Unified School District, first as a
maintenance worker, then as a computer repair technician.
So I've been a civil servant. It can be very rewarding,
but make no mistake, civil servants are expected to
*work,* and they're often expected to work miracles with
chewing gum and bailing wire.

Having trouble finding work as a programmer without
benefit of friends or relatives in the business, I took a
part-time job at the ice rink where I was taking figure
skating classes. Shortly after that, I finally landed a
programmer/tech writer/typesetter job with a small company
called Oxxi, a publisher of software for the Commodore
Amiga (!).

I left Oxxi exactly two years after I was hired, because
the job stress was affecting my health: I was never
recognized for anything I accomplished, and was constantly
blamed for other people's hidden flaws. On the other hand,
I kept the ice rink job, even though it was barely above
minimum wage, because there, it was as if I could do no
wrong. Likewise, about the time I was contemplating
leaving Oxxi, my best friend started a video production
business, specializing in figure skating competitions, and
he quickly tapped me to work with him.

Four years, two and a half months after I left Oxxi, I
began working for what is now Touchtone Corporation,
teaching myself MI, CL, and RPG, and quickly transforming
QuestView from dying product to continually improving
flagship. I still kept the ice rink job, until I quit,
only a few months shy of a decade with the company, over a
dispute with the worst figure skating coach who ever drew
breath; that particular ice rink has since been torn down.
And I still work the occasional video crew at skating
competitions.

I still work for Touchtone because this job is everything
Oxxi wasn't. I get to work on a stable platform, with
management that is scrupulously honest and magnanimously
generous, and if I get yelled at, it's for something I
actually did (or neglected to do).

--
JHHL