From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 3:26 PM
To: RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: RE: Free-Form vs Fixed Form.

Perhaps I need a little education in business acumen, but if one believes
that a faster PC is worth it, and is cost justifiable because "Jim" can
justify a new $1,500 computer because his productivity will increase to
the point where that is paid for in 2 months",
then,
why can't you justify X times $1,500 because X programmers productivity
will be increased to the point where that is still paid for in 2 months?
Is it because a midlevel IT manager can sign an expense chit for $1,500
but not for X times $1,500?  Piece it out over several months?  I've heard
of mainframe purchases being done that way.

Rob Berendt